I'm going home for the weekend. What does that mean when you are an adult, when you have a home of your own? I have many homes. I have homes in Michigan, a home in Tennessee, a home in Scotland, a home in the woods, a home on the beach, an apartment home in Boston, a new home in Chicago, and homes I am still yet to find. I hope that this home, this blog, can connect my many homes together and allow me to be a little closer to the many homes I miss.

Monday, March 24, 2014

A little bump in the road

I had my blood draw for calcium and parathyroid hormone levels today.  As my doctor said, the good news is my calcium levels are good.  In other news...yes "other" not good or bad...my parathyroid level went down to 4.  I like that he used non-judgmental language, the mindfulness therapist in me likes that, but the person who wants to have functional parathyroids thinks we could use some judgement language as we know it's not "good", but then again, "not good" does not necessarily imply bad. 

I am a bit tired from the full week (including all day Saturday at a leadership retreat) back at work and maybe my parathyroids are too.  (not sure it actually works that way but hey).  My doctor tells me it can take weeks (check) or months to get these back to full strength.  So please keep pulling and praying for these parathyroids to wake up!  I have to say I could do without the three times a day of calcium and two times a day of D routine, but I know it could be worse as well.  I just don't want to have to lug that all around backpacking etc and the D is a bit temperature sensitive.  But the good news is that we seem to have found a good level for this regimen that keeps me from tingling or being nauseous all the time.

I'm still waiting to do the tests to help make a plan regarding further treatment.  I'll let you know when anything develops on that front.  For now I'm just trying to keep on keeping on and getting back to work and the rest of my life.  

2 comments:

Mom said...

Hang in there, Kiddo!
I'm praying for those parathyroids to kick back into full throttle.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

They will come back! It's spring, the time for all things sleepy to come back to life. You have some gardening to do at your house too. Can't wait to see a picture of those roses in full bloom. ~Courtney