Best and worst patient-me
Take fork in road when it comes
Low-iodine diet day 1
Which brings me to my first random thought. One of my friends said that after reading my blog (particularly my most recent post), he said I must be the best and worst patient ever...yes. I am sure both of those are true! I want to know everything. It's my body, I understand journal articles, I do my homework (not on Wikipedia or any of those online chats about thyroid...scary odd stuff out there). I've had nurses say "you are the perfect patient" (I come well prepared), but I'm sure my wanting to know things can be exhausting at other times...and I know that, so I save some questions for next time ;)
I was listening to NPR today and they were playing a past interview on Fresh Air with the editor of Bartlett's familiar quotations (who recently died). At the end, Terri asked if there was any particularly inspiring quote he wanted to part with. He chose one attributed to Yogi Berra: "when you come to a fork in the road, take it". He said, do what you will with that. And so I guess eventually, I will do just that!
Finally, it's my first day of the low-iodine diet. Don't try it. I'm sure it will get better but with the low energy and queezy stomach, nothing sounds great. It means I'm trying out veganism (no dairy except egg whites which you better believe I will be eating). I had thought about going Vegan for lent anyways, so I'm starting a few days early and ending whenever I can. I figure I gave up my thyroid for lent :) I'm not trying to be trivial around Lent. It actually really helps that this fasting from iodine and fasting from thyroid is coming at this time of year. It gives me a sense of familiarity and companionship. A whole group fasting from something. When it is hard, and it will get harder than this, I can turn to G-d and believe in the strength of my creator, redeemer, and sustainer. I really rely on the sustainer at the moment.
p.s. shameless plug for my friend Ron's daughter's debut CD (he has been a very strong local support for me through all of this). She was on NPR morning edition the morning!!! She reminds me a bit of both Ingrid Michaelson and Regina Spektorix, but with her own unique witty spin. Click the link to listen (it's less than 3 min). http://www.npr.org/2014/03/04/285581193/sarah-dooley-releases-debut-album-stupid-things
No comments:
Post a Comment