This is Carolyn, one of her friends from her Boston days, with an update from the waiting room. Kezia's surgery began today at about 12 pm CST, and the surgeon came out to talk to us just after 4 pm. In sum: Her surgery went extremely well. A few points:
- There were no surgical complications -- zero. No nerve damage at all.
- All parathyroids are intact! This is great news. I just learned what a parathyroid is myself (I may or may not have looked up parathyroid.com; I may or may not know whether parathyroid.com is a reliable source of information), but Kezia was worried they'd have to remove some of them: they didn't.
- They did have to remove several lymph nodes, and Kezia will have more information on those after pathology examines them.
- Her surgeon is one of the best in the world. In fact, her surgery was originally meant to last 2.5 hours, but when the doctor came out to give us a post-op update, he explained that he had originally closed her wound, but he didn't like how it looked, so he took all of the stitches out and did the whole thing again, spending an hour to make sure it was perfect. (We like this guy.)
- She has no stitches on the outside of her neck; all the stitches are internal, and the outer skin is held together with meditape (sp? Is that even what it's called?), which will greatly minimize scarring.
As we all knew, she'll need some extra TLC these coming weeks and months. She won't be able to drive for at least a week, but the surgeon says this is generally a lower-pain surgery, so she shouldn't be in a great deal of discomfort from the operation itself.
I know she appreciates all your thoughts and prayers. Keep 'em coming, folks.
With love from the waiting room,
Carolyn
6 comments:
Carolyn, thanks for updating this blog. I've enjoyed your company here today as we all waited to hear this news about Kezia. I'm so impressed by Kezia's many terrific friendships.
Linda
Thank you for this fantastic update. Thank you so incredibly, so much. We have one terrific friend. `Courtney
Thanks for taking care of our girl. She is very important to us and we need her to return to the faculty social scene ASAP. Oh...and I guess there's that whole teaching young minds thing, too....but she should rest up and take her time with that. -k
Woof. Woof. WoofWoofWoofWoof!. -Rylie (Mom shouldn't leave her computer on while she's out of the house)
Great news. Thanks for the update, Carolyn.
I'm sure they did great work to minimize scaring. They did mine that way 40 years ago, and I really can't see the scar. They told me they do it like they would a plastic surgery scar. I'm sure they are even better now.
Now I'm wondering if I still have my parathyroid. I looked it up, and it is one of the last parts in the body to be discovered.
So that was Rylie's happy bark I heard way down in FL yesterday.
Hugs and prayers continue from us and our church too.
Carolyn, Thank you so much for posting the update! We are so glad to hear that there were no complications and that all parathyroids are intact (I may or may not know what they are, but did talk with Kezia about it! :))Thank you to all of you amazing people helping take care of everything!
Post a Comment