Apparently I just stopped writing once school started! Perhaps this new year I will find time to write more. There have been many updates since August.
For one, I finished the Hot Chocolate 5k on November 9th. I ran with the
CancerTo5k program through the Ulman Cancer Fund. It was a great experience where we all met twice a week for a training run downtown Wednesday nights and Saturday mornings at Montrose Beach. I met lots of great people and plan to continue participating into the future. Several people had not run or had not run in a long time and it was great to see them grow in their athletic confidence and energy. I also increased in my physical fitness and when I completed this 5k I felt like I could have kept running! It was such a great feeling. I continue to work out at least 3 times a week and I am trying to build upon that routine.
 |
| Note that the colors allow me to sport Michigan gear as well! |
 |
| in action! |
 |
| Celebration with chocolate! |
At the end of November I hosted Thanksgiving. This included the rare treat of having my brother and sister-in-law in town. So Thanksgiving included my brother, sister-in-law, mom, dad, aunt Sue, Uncle Paul, Rylie, and Cari (my aunt and uncle's dog). A full house to be sure.
We had a great several days together. On Wednesday we at at Frontera Grill. It was amazing. On Thanksgiving, we had about every type of dressing one could imagine. We used my great-grandmother Dorthy's pink china. When shopping in Lincoln Square the following Friday we also so the same pink china set in a store (far fewer pieces than I have) who would have guessed! We also stopped in for some authentic Chicago Hot dogs (well...two of us) at Wolfy's.
 |
| See the little nose hoping for some turkey? |
 |
| family around the table...note the pink china |
 |
| Zach and me |
| |
| Chicago hot dogs! |
|
|
|
|
|
Then at the beginning of December I traveled to Cincinnati to celebrate Grace's birthday (just a week before mine). It was great to see her and to see her new place--truly amazing. We spent a lot of time in the Over the Rhine area and then had to evacuate the gym right after a yoga session...at least we got in our shavasana! I then celebrated my birthday back at home with friends over for a potluck.
 |
| Out on the town! |
 |
| My cake at my gathering! |
Then came Christmas! My dad and mom came into town for Christmas. We had a short time together but had a really great time. We went to church on Christmas Eve and then had the traditional vegetarian lasagna...though this was made with polenta. We had an entirely vegetarian and gluten free meal on Christmas including two desserts! You'd think with only three people gifts would have gone quickly, but we had quite the celebration!
 |
| a take on a classic family photo |
 |
| The tree post the gift exchange |
 |
| stuffed mushrooms in Christmas colors and on a new Christmas tray |
 |
| Our meal of mashed potatoes, veggie gravy, roasted vegetables, stuffed portobellos, and cranberry relish |
 |
| my dad likes olives...a lot! |
 |
| White Chocolate pudding with blackberry curd (recipe from Smitten Kitchen) |
As one of my friends says, who has had arguably one of the worst years possible, this year has had some heavy downs but also many wonderful highs. I have faced illness again and found strength and deeper friendships. Through this recent illness I have been reminded of how fortunate I am to have good health insurance (to not be in massive debt after a major surgery etc.), to live in a city and country with amazing medical care, to live at a time where I can live without a thyroid, to have the intellect to make thoughtful decisions, and to have the unending support of friends and family. I hope to never take any of those for granted. I imagine 2015 will have many surprises ahead--I hope all good--and that many things will continue to be solid and steadfast. Blessings to you all.
3 comments:
So happy to have shared some of these 2014 occasions with you, dear Kezia! I hope your 2015 is spectacular.
Love you Kez! Your celebrations looked great. I am looking forward to 2015! Courtney
2014 was a very good year, all in all.
I'm so glad to have this blog post to help me remember all you did and all you celebrated.
I know that 2015 is going to be really great for you.
Post a Comment