I've been doing a lot of new things this summer, or getting into things I haven't done in awhile. On the trip to the UP I even jumped off of a 25 foot (at least) cliff into the river below. It's amazing how many thoughts can go through my mind in a matter of seconds. The garden is growing well--I had no idea that brussel sprouts could grow that high...without actually having brussel sprouts on them (I have some at last!). I kicked off the summer by running in a 5k for cancer sponsored by Northwestern. All the survivors wore purple shirts and many of them wore buttons saying how many years they had been a survivor. Most of the people walked (both those in white and purple shirts), but it was really inspiring to see how many young adults in purple shirts were running. It made me realize how many other people have faced serious illness (cancer or otherwise) early in life and are still healthy vibrant people. In fact that's where I learned about another foundation that helps young adults run 5ks after cancer and their encouragement of a woman in front of me is what enabled me to run the entire way! My friends Carolyn (who updated this blog after my surgery) and Brita were there too. Carolyn ran (faster than I...a PR I believe) and Brita cheered and snapped many photos. It was a nice way to start the summer. I must admit, I thought I'd get into more of a workout routine than I have, though I'm doing far better than I was in the spring. I've also decided to do a CancerTo5k event through the Ulman Foundation for young adults with cancer. I did my first practice with them this Sunday and we will run in the hot chocolate 5k this fall.
I've included some pictures of the summer below.
| Jumping off a cliff...thinking "this is taking longer than I thought it would" |
![]() |
| By the bean after the 5k |
![]() |
| In a pristine forest in the upper peninsula |
![]() |
| from my garden |
| Brita's cool shot of Carolyn |
| Running along... |
| |
| After the 5k with Carolyn and Brita |



No comments:
Post a Comment