I'm going home for the weekend. What does that mean when you are an adult, when you have a home of your own? I have many homes. I have homes in Michigan, a home in Tennessee, a home in Scotland, a home in the woods, a home on the beach, an apartment home in Boston, a new home in Chicago, and homes I am still yet to find. I hope that this home, this blog, can connect my many homes together and allow me to be a little closer to the many homes I miss.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I'm not sure why I stopped posting, or what is prompting me to post today. Of late I've had a bit of a love hate relationship with social networking sites and the possibilities and pitfalls of such electronic interactions with others. I love connection and for me, that comes must fully when it is done in person, one on one particularly. Yet, the whole point in this blog is that I have friends and family so scattered and far away that in person connection is impossible, and often one on one connection is limited--though distance does not preclude it.

Today I have been working on my internship applications (which means I have passed by qualifing exams and defended my dissertation proposal!), which will in less than a year take me away from Nashville and into unknown areas. It's exciting, and it also reminds me how much of a home Tennessee and Nashville specifically have become. Perhaps that is why, in part, today I am reflecting on my many homes.

There is no way to catch up on all that has happened in a year, perhaps some pictures will suffice.

I defended my MAP (Major Area Paper)


I got a roommate: Sarah!


I went up to Lake Michigan in July


Rylie smelling

Her favorite beach time activity

gorgeous weather and a lovely lake

A juvenile bald eagle sitting on a perch

Rylie stayed with her "grandparents" for the month of August and they had "fun"! She was in a dog parade and won best behaved with jockey

August Trip to Colorado with Candace and Courtney



My first scooter ride!


I'm not sure who was more frightened in this photo!


We had a lot of fun (and a little fear) road tripping!



A September Wedding in Charleston, SC where Kristen and Latif were married!


Kristen and meJumping for joy!

Camping with my church at the end of September

No comments: